Broccoli & Asparagus Soup. Broccoli (Brassica oleracea) is a cruciferous vegetable related to cabbage, kale, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. These vegetables are known for their beneficial health effects. Looking for the best Broccoli recipes?
Ingredients of Broccoli & Asparagus Soup
- It’s 1/3 of rd a head of broccoli florets,.
- Prepare of The large stalk from a head of broccoli,.
- You need 230 ml of boiled water (filtered if possible),.
- You need 10 of spears of asparagus, very ends trimmed off,.
- You need 200 ml of milk or dairy free alternative, (I used almond milk),.
- Prepare 1/2 of Vegetable stock cube,.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil,.
- Prepare 1/2 of an onion chopped finely,.
- It’s of Salt and white pepper to season.
- Prepare of To serve:.
- Prepare 2 rashers of crispy fried bacon (optional).
- You need 2 tbsp of crème fraiche or fat free quark,.
- You need 1 of drizzle of extra virgin olive oil,.
- It’s of Fresh parsley leaves,.
- You need of Salt and ground black pepper to season.
- You need of Equipment Needed:.
- It’s 1 of hand blender / blender.
Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable rich in nutrients. Possible health benefits include lowering cancer risk and boosting the immune system. Learn more about the health benefits of broccoli here. Preparation methods affect bioavailability of active chemical compounds and relevant endogenous enzymes.
Broccoli & Asparagus Soup instructions
- Add the vegetable stock to the boiling water and stir through to dissolve. Add to a saucepan over a high heat and then place in all of the brocolli stalks. Bring to a boil and cook for around 7 minutes. Next add in the florets and continue to boil..
- In a frying pan, add in the olive oil and once hot sear the asparagus and the chopped onion until it gets a bit of colour and the asparagus is slightly charred. Remove from the heat. Remove the asparagus, chop it up into smaller pieces and add it in with the brocolli. Set aside the onions for the time being..
- Boil the brocolli until the stalks are nice and soft and the water has reduced down by about half. Season well with salt and a pinch of white pepper to taste..
- Add the cooked onions in with the broccoli and asparagus. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes..
- Using a hand blender or regular blender, blend until nice and smooth and no large lumps remain. Add in half the milk and blend again until a smoother texture is achieved. Add the remaining milk, blend one final time until velvety smooth..
- For the garnish I like to fry up some bacon until crispy, then sprinkle on top with some crème fraiche or fat free quark, and a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil then a few sprigs of fresh parsley leaves. Then a final grind of black pepper and salt to taste. Enjoy!.
Broccoli is a bonafide dinnertime hero. Do you still make the same face you did as a child when presented with a plate of broccoli? Broccoli and Beyond Botanical name: Brassica oleracea var. italica. Grown all over the world and enjoyed as a versatile ingredient for various dishes, broccoli is a member of the cruciferous family. Broccoli is a great vegetable to keep at the ready.